Eid Mubarak! Celebrate Eid With Special Seviyan Recipe
Eid al-Fitr is one of the most important Islamic festivals celebrated by Muslims all over the world. It marks the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting, prayer, & reflection. Eid al-Fitr is a time of joy & celebration, where followers of Islam gather with family & friends, exchange gifts & enjoy delicious food.
One of the most popular dishes served during Eid al-Fitr is seviyan, a sweet vermicelli pudding made with milk, sugar, & nuts. Seviyan is a staple dessert during Eid & is enjoyed by both children & adults alike. In this blog, we’ll explore the significance of Eid al-Fitr & share an Eid special recipe for seviyan that you can enjoy with your loved ones.
💡Did you know! Apart from Eid-al Fitr, Eid-al-Adha is also celebrated & brings its own set of foods & festivities. Read all about it in our dedicated blog titled ‘Eid al-Adha: The Festival of Devotion’
The Story Behind Seviyan Recipe!
Seviyan has been a favored dessert during Eid celebrations for centuries, with its origin believed to be in Persia or India. Over time, it has traveled to other Islamic countries & has been adapted to suit local tastes.
One of the most popular versions of seviyan during Eid is the Seviyan Kheer. While it’s unclear exactly when or where it first became part of the celebration, it has now become a global dish. In India, during the Mughal rule, seviyan underwent various transformations. The richest version was Dum ki Meethi Seviyan, which involved hand-rolled seviyan being roasted in ghee & flavored with jaggery & rose syrup. Khoya was added for richness before being smoked on a griddle.
Emperor Shah Jahan even ordered a special colored varq to go along with their offering of seviyan to celebrate Eid. The tradition of hand-rolling seviyan continued until the time of Bahadur Shah Zafar, who made his own seviyan from soft wheat dough during fasting days.
Types Of Seviyan Recipe
In India, Seviyan or vermicelli is used to make both sweet as well as savory dishes. Here are some of the most common types of Seviyan preparations in India:
- Seviyan Kheer: Seviyan Kheer is a classic dessert made with roasted Seviyan cooked in milk & flavored with sugar, cardamom, & nuts. It’s a must-have dish during Eid celebrations.
- Seviyan Upma: Seviyan Upma is a savory dish made with roasted Seviyan cooked with onions, tomatoes, & spices. It’s a popular breakfast dish in South India.
- Seviyan Pulao: Seviyan Pulao is a delicious rice preparation made with roasted Seviyan, rice, vegetables, & spices. It’s a popular dish during festivals & special occasions.
- Seviyan Biryani: Seviyan Biryani is a flavorful dish made with roasted Seviyan, rice, vegetables, & spices. It’s a vegetarian version of the traditional biryani & is loved by all.
- Seviyan Kheer with Jaggery: Seviyan Kheer with Jaggery is a healthier version of the classic Seviyan Kheer, where jaggery is used instead of sugar. It’s a perfect dessert for those who prefer natural sweeteners.
- Meethi Seviyan: Meethi Seviyan is a rich dessert made with roasted Seviyan, milk, khoya, sugar, & nuts. It’s a popular dish during festivals & special occasions.
These are just a few examples of the many Seviyan preparations you can find in India. Each region has its own unique way of using this versatile ingredient to create a variety of dishes.
Rich Seviyan Recipe For Eid-Al-Fitr
One of the best & richest special Seviyan recipes for Eid is the traditional Dum ki Meethi Seviyan. This Eid seviyan recipe is a rich & indulgent dessert that is perfect for Eid celebrations. It’s a traditional special recipe that has been enjoyed for centuries & is sure to be a hit with your family & friends.
- Flavorful: Dum ki Meethi Seviyan is known for its rich & aromatic flavors. The combination of rose syrup, jaggery, & cardamom powder gives it a unique taste that is loved by many.
- Creamy texture: The addition of khoya & milk gives this dish a creamy & rich texture. The Seviyan softens & absorbs the flavors of the milk & other ingredients, resulting in a velvety smooth texture.
- Nutritious: Seviyan is a good source of carbohydrates & is easy to digest, making it a popular ingredient in many desserts. The addition of nuts like almonds, pistachios, & cashews, provides a good dose of healthy fats & protein.
- Traditional: Dum ki Meethi Seviyan is a traditional dish that has been enjoyed during Eid celebrations for centuries. It has been passed down from generation to generation, making it a beloved part of many families’ celebrations.
- Versatile: While Dum ki Meethi Seviyan is a dessert, it can be served hot or cold, making it a versatile dish that can be enjoyed throughout the year. It can also be customized by adding different nuts, fruits, or even saffron to enhance the flavor & appearance of the dish.
Let’s cook some sweetness!
- 1 cup roasted Seviyan
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 115g khoya
- 100g jaggery (gud)
- 250ml milk
- 100g rose syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios, cashews)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Silver varq (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat ghee & add the roasted Seviyan. Fry the Seviyan on medium heat until it turns golden brown.
- Add the khoya to the pan & fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- In a separate pan, heat the milk & add the jaggery. Stir until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Add the rose syrup to the milk mixture & stir.
- Pour the milk mixture into the Seviyan & khoya mixture. Add the chopped nuts & raisins.
- Stir well & cook on medium heat until the Seviyan is soft & the milk has thickened to a creamy consistency. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent the Seviyan from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cardamom powder & mix well.
- Transfer the Seviyan to a serving dish & garnish with silver varq (if using) & some more chopped nuts.
- Serve hot or chilled as per your preference.
With its rich flavors & creamy texture, this Seviyan recipe is sure to be a hit with your family & friends. You can easily order the ingredients from the Milkbasket app & get them delivered straight to your doorstep with 7 AM silent delivery. Why Milkbasket? Have a look at our blog ‘Milkbasket – A Revolution In The Online Grocery Delivery Services In India’ to know how to make your life easier with 5000+ brands to choose from.
🌟Happy cooking & Eid Mubarak!🌟
Milkbasket – A Revolution In The Online Grocery Delivery Services In India
Spread the loveThere’s no denying the fact that the pandemic has drastically changed the way people spend their time online, buying everything through various online retail platforms with the convenience of home deliveries in India. Milkbasket, with it’s features has proven to be a revolution in the online grocery delivery services in India. While stepping […]08 Jul 2022 read More...
Nabhi Chikitsa or Belly Button Therapy: The Simple Health Secret You NEED To Know!
Spread the loveOur Navel or Belly Button (scientific name Umbilicus) is believed to be the centre of our life force. Most of us take it as just another part of our body not knowing its deep, thrilling world. In ancient Hindu healing practices, the Navel is considered to be the most important point of the […]08 Sep 2022 read More...
Milkbasket’s Latest DVC Campaign Is Out, And It’s Quirky And Relatable As Heck!
Spread the loveThe year 2021 was all about patience, resilience, and the grind it takes to get back up from a worldwide slump that the COVID-19 pandemic had hit us with. It made us all revisit our roots, recalibrate our priorities, and strengthen our foundations. With the better part of 2022 gone into slowly spreading […]28 Sep 2022 read More...
Recycling At Milkbasket: A World Environment Day Special
Spread the loveAs people who serve and bring convenience to other people, it’s important for us as brands to give a thought from time to time to what matters the most to us as human beings. The realization of the countless resources that our planet has provided us allows us to be amazed and humbled […]05 Jun 2022 read More...