Shepherd's Pie & The Most Delicious Recipe To Bake One!
Shepherd’s Pie has been a favorite comfort food for many generations, and for good reason. Made with your choice of ingredients and topped with creamy mashed potatoes, it’s a hearty and delicious meal that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a warming dinner on a cold winter’s night or a comforting lunch on a lazy Sunday, this recipe is sure to please.
And the best part is, it’s easy to make! In this blog post, we’ll take you through all the steps to make the perfect Shepherd’s Pie, from preparing the filling to creating the perfect mashed potatoes topping. So, grab your ingredients and let’s get started!
Shepherd’s Pie Origins
The dish is said to have originated in the 18th century as a way to use up leftover meat and vegetables, and it remains a popular comfort food to this day. The name “shepherd’s pie” comes from the fact that it was originally made with lamb, while “cottage pie” is used when the meat is beef.
It was a simple, hearty and a cost-effective meal that could be made in large quantities and enjoyed over several days. The name “Shepherd’s pie” comes from the fact that it was originally made with lamb as the main ingredient, as it was a popular meat among shepherds, who raised sheep for their livelihood. Over time, the recipe for the dish evolved and it became a staple comfort food in British cuisine, enjoyed by people of all social classes.
Modern Day’s Shepherd’s Pie
In modern times, Shepherd’s pie has become a popular comfort food around the world and is enjoyed by many cultures. It is typically made with a base of ground meat, such as lamb, beef, pork or chicken, mixed with vegetables like carrots, peas, and corn. The meat and vegetable mixture is then topped with a layer of mashed potatoes and baked in the oven.
The traditional recipe has evolved over time, and many variations of the dish can be found around the world. For example, some people use other types of potatoes, such as sweet potatoes or yams, as a topping. Some variations also include additional ingredients such as cheese or breadcrumbs to make the dish more flavorful.
In recent years, Shepherd’s pie has also become a popular dish in many restaurants and home cooks have shared many variations and twists on the traditional recipe online.
Let’s Make The Best Shepherd’s Pie Ever!
This particular recipe for the pie makes use of chicken and simple vegetables and ingredients that you can easily source any day of the week. Well, that was the intent of this dish anyways, isn’t it!?
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 500g boneless chicken breasts, minced plus a few thumbnail sized pieces.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups carrots, peas, corn & potato cubes
- 250ml chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons maida
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 large potatoes, boiled & mashed
For Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small chunks.
- Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the potatoes simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash them using a potato masher or a fork.
- Add the butter, milk, salt, and pepper to the mashed potatoes and mix well. You can also use a mixer to make it smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
For The Filling & Final Baking:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a little oil.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook until softened.
- Add the vegetables, chicken broth, flour, and rosemary. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the cream, chicken, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top of the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
Enjoy your homemade chicken Shepherd’s Pie!
(1. You can use other vegetables of your preference, like mushrooms, or carrots or celery. Also, you can adjust the amount of cream and chicken broth to your liking.
2. You can literally use any baking dish that is deep enough to hold the gravy and mashed potatoes on top)
Bake this wholesome Shepherd’s Pie using this recipe and we’re sure you’ll be complimented over your meal prep!
Milkbasket – A Revolution In The Online Grocery Delivery Services In India
Spread the loveThere’s no denying the fact that the pandemic has drastically changed the way people spend their time online, buying everything through various online retail platforms with the convenience of home deliveries in India. Milkbasket, with it’s features has proven to be a revolution in the online grocery delivery services in India. While stepping […]08 Jul 2022 read More...
Nabhi Chikitsa or Belly Button Therapy: The Simple Health Secret You NEED To Know!
Spread the loveOur Navel or Belly Button (scientific name Umbilicus) is believed to be the centre of our life force. Most of us take it as just another part of our body not knowing its deep, thrilling world. In ancient Hindu healing practices, the Navel is considered to be the most important point of the […]08 Sep 2022 read More...
Milkbasket’s Latest DVC Campaign Is Out, And It’s Quirky And Relatable As Heck!
Spread the loveThe year 2021 was all about patience, resilience, and the grind it takes to get back up from a worldwide slump that the COVID-19 pandemic had hit us with. It made us all revisit our roots, recalibrate our priorities, and strengthen our foundations. With the better part of 2022 gone into slowly spreading […]28 Sep 2022 read More...
Recycling At Milkbasket: A World Environment Day Special
Spread the loveAs people who serve and bring convenience to other people, it’s important for us as brands to give a thought from time to time to what matters the most to us as human beings. The realization of the countless resources that our planet has provided us allows us to be amazed and humbled […]05 Jun 2022 read More...